Type “make money from surveys” into Google and almost 30 million results are returned. You will see that there are a host of websites pay users cash to complete surveys. But is making money from home as easy as it sounds? Some paid-for adverts claim you can make $5 to $7 per survey or earn up to 10 e-points, which can be later exchanged for free Amazon cards. But how easy is it really to make money this way? Let’s find out.
How Do Online Surveys Work?
Surveys can be used for marketing purposes in various ways. Firstly companies want to find out what makes their customers tick. Which products do they like or need? What annoys them? Other companies might send survey results to journalists in the hope the statistics – and the company – will be mentioned in an article which will be great publicity for the firm and result in increased brand awareness and sales.
Most firms outsource their surveys to a professional survey company. These survey companies compile a database of people and then contact suitable respondents for each survey, offering cash as an incentive. So which sites are the main players? Let’s find out below.
Top Sites for Online Surveys
Wondough is one of the best paying survey sites available today. You’re paid in points after filling out each survey, which can later exchange for a free Amazon card. Most surveys are worth five to 1000 points. Once you register on the website, you earn 10 points and can start with filling out the surveys. Wondough is pretty honest and transparent about the fact that you won’t get rich quick using the site and their payment of points.
US-based Swagbucks boasts that members have redeemed almost $60 million in gift cards from using the site. However, Swagbucks isn’t just a survey site. You can also be paid for using it as a search engine instead of Google. Furthermore, there are other ways to earn money including shopping via the site, playing online games and watching videos. Points given out are known as Swagbucks or SB and in general, each survey pays up to 70 SB. You can spend these SB can be spent at Swagbuck’s reward store.
Part of Lightspeed GMI, MySurvey comes with some decent reviews from users. They report that MySurvey comes up with a high number of surveys and is also a quick payer. Typically a survey takes about 15 minutes to complete and pays 100 points. You need a minimum of 345 points to redeem them, which will net you about $4. Furthermore, Payment is on the high street or Amazon vouchers, or via PayPal.
Tips for Online Survey Sites
- Before you sign up to a survey site check how you’ll get paid. Most pay either by PayPal or vouchers, with Amazon gift cards particularly popular.
- How many points are worth may depend on the reward. For example, you may get a higher value Amazon gift card than you’d get cash.
- Most sites have a threshold you have to reach before you can redeem your points or cash. Check this before you start – in some cases you’ll be able to claim the money pretty quickly but in others, you’ll be slaving away doing surveys for months before you see any cash.
- It’s best not to leave tons of cash sitting in survey accounts – in the unlikely event the company goes bust this money won’t be protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
- If you opt for gift cards, check the expiry date. Some gift cards are valid for as little as six months.
- If you spot a survey site that promises to make you rich quick, take its claims with a pinch of salt. Search for user reviews and see what existing members say.
- In most cases, survey sites can be an easy way to make a bit of extra money – but they aren’t a quick route to riches.